Tests Show Ec 10 Self-Pacing Helps Students Retain Material

Testing of students who took Economics 10 in 1972-73 revealed Tuesday that students in self-paced sections retain more of the course material than students in conventional sections.

Associate Professor of Economics Elisabeth S. Allison, head section person of Ec 10, gave the three-hour test last week to 83 students selected from three groups: self-paced students, students from regular sections, and students who have never taken the course.

'Very Raw Scores'

Allison released what she termed "very raw median scores" from the test. Self-paced students generally scored 60 to 70 of a possible 110 points, students from conventional sections scored in the 50 to 60 range, and those who had never taken Ec 10 scored in the twenties.

Allison cited the increased teaching time spent on self-paced students as the main factor in their higher retention rate.

She is currently analyzing the test results more closely in order to formulate a "retention equation" for Ec 10.

"We'll look at factors like field of concentration, interest in economics, general intellectual priorities, etc. to see which people are helped most by self-pacing," Allison said.

Students who took part in the survey of self-paced sections received $10 apiece from the Economics Department.

More Detailed Results

She said that more detailed results of the study will be available in two to three weeks.

Allison received about $6000 in funds in 1972 for the self-pacing experiment from President Bok. The money came from the President's Discretionary Fund, which provides funds for educational innovation.

John S. Kiernan '76, who was in a self-paced Ec 10 section, said yesterday that the self-paced exams "force you to keep up every step of the way."

"In that light, it's not really self-pacing, simply more intensive," he said. "Self-paced students learned more."