Yale Defeats Green, 14 to 9; Brown and Cornell Both Win

By Michael K. Savit

Yale's undefeated football team stalled a Dartmouth drive in the final minutes of the fourth quarter and held on for a narrow 14-9 triumph over the Green at New Haven last Saturday.

The Elis' victory, which enabled Yale to remain deadlocked with Harvard at the top of the Ivy League, was hardly a convincing one.

After taking an early 14-0 lead in the opening period on touchdown runs by Rudy Green and Don Gesicki, Yale's offense was ineffective for the remainder of the game.

Dartmouth rallied in the second quarter, as quarterback Tom Snickenberger fired a 13-yard scoring strike to Frank Wilson. In the final two minutes of the half, Chris Bjelland added a 21-yard field goal for the Green which narrowed Yale's lead to five points.

The teams then battled through a scoreless third period, but with just five minutes and nine seconds remaining in the game, the Green took over possession at its 35-yard line, and drove downfield for what would have been the winning touchdown.

Dartmouth managed to reach the Yale 13-yard line, and the Green had a first down with one minute and 23 seconds left in the game. At this point, though, the Eli defense stiffened, and stopped Dartmouth on downs at the ten-yard line, preserving the victory.

Yale has now won six games in a row this fall, four of them Ivy League contests, while Dartmouth's disappointing record stands at 1-5, 1-3 in the Ivies.

In Providence, Brown won its first Ivy contest after three tough losses with a come-from-behind, 17-13 triumph over a slightly favored Princeton squad.

Walt Snickenberger accounted for both Tiger scores.

Cornell rebounded from losses to Harvard and Yale with an easy 24-0 victory over Columbia, breaking the Lions' one-game winning streak.