Yardling Skaters Just Squeeze By B.U., 4-3

By Richard Lehr

For the Harvard freshman hockey team revenge tasted sweet yesterday afternoon as they defeated Boston University's "B" team, 4-3, in a hard-fought battle at B.U.'s Brown Rink. The B.U. squad had defeated the Yardlings earlier in the season, 6-4.

With two B.U. players serving minor penalties at 17:56 of the second period, Harvard's Mike Leckie slammed in the rebound of teammate Bill Hovack's shot. The goal proved to be the game-winning tally as Brian Petrovek's spectacular play in the net denied the opposition from scoring in the final stanza.

The game was filled with penalties, 19 in all, which gave both teams numerous power play opportunities. But Harvard came out on top, scoring two power-play goals while playing solid defensive hockey when killing penalties.

Right from the start the Yardlings showed they wanted to win. Bill Horton scored Harvard's first goal with just two minutes gone in the game. Horton was assisted on the score by Lyman Bullard and Ken Dummitt.

But B.U. was not about to roll over and give the game away. With two Harvard players in the penalty box, B.U.'s Bob Dudley scored a goal at 13:20. One minute later Dudley scored again to put B.U. ahead, 2-1.

Horton Scores Again

Horton scored his second goal for Harvard with one minute left to play in the period to send the two teams to the locker room tied up at 2-2.

Midway through the second period the Yardlings, while on a power play, suffered their only big lapse in play: allowing B.U. to score a shorthanded goal to go into the lead, 3-2.

Shifting Momentum

For a moment it looked like the momentum might be shifting to the B.U. squad. But Jeremy Wintersteen scored at 15:03 of the second period to tie the game up again. Then came Leckie's goal two minutes later and it was all over for B.U.

"It was a big win for the team," Coach Tim Taylor said after the game. "We played excellent hockey in the third period, killing off some very crucial penalties."

The freshman hockey squad now sports an 8-3 record.