Father Gigante and Power Politics

The Response

By Louis Gigante

Last Thursday night, Estelle Nigron of 694 Beck Street came into my political club to see if I could do anything to get the hot water turned on in her building. She told me she had called the landlord on numerous occasions without getting any response. I told her I would do what I could, and that she should come and see me the next day at my church.

Friday morning I got on the phone to Larry Casanova, a Puerto Rican lawyer in my club whom I recently placed in Mayor Beame's office as a special assistant. Mr. Casanova heard the problem and reacted quickly. He called the landlord and told him he would send a building inspector to Mrs. Negron's apartment if the hot water was not turned on within the day. Two hours after Mr. Casanova's phone call, Mrs. Negron came to the parish to report that she now had hot water.

The Negron case is typical of what I can do as a "power politician." By supporting Beame in the primary and general election, I am able to get quick results for the people of the South Bronx on housing and other matters. If doing that is "criminal," I must plead guilty. But I don't think the people in the South Bronx believe that what I do is wrong. Through "the dean of the political bosses Patrick J. Cunningham," I have gotten jobs for over 20 poor Puerto Ricans. If this makes Patrick J. Cunningham evil, don't tell any of the people I have gotten jobs for.

If blacks and Puerto Ricans are going to get any real political power in New York City, they must work through the regular Democratic organization. By cooperating with the other groups within the broad-based Democratic coalition, blacks and Puerto Ricans will be assured of "getting a piece of the pie." By indulging in an ethnic separatist political style, blacks and Puerto Ricans face the prospect of constantly losing elections until they become a majority of the city's population. Right now, the city's electorate is over 65 per cent white and it will be at least 15 years before minority groups become dominant in the city electorate.

In his campaign, Mr. Beame made it clear that he would continue to support rent control. In fact, he recently has joined with us in the City Council in supporting a 4 per cent rent rollback. If Beame is a captive of the landlords, I wonder why his housing policies have been sharply criticized by Edward Sulzberger, the head of the city landlord's organization, both during the campaign and since his election.

I generally do not like to respond to personal criticisms. But in this instance, I think it would be wise for me to explain why I entered politics. After seeing how little the politicians did for the South Bronx between 1962 and 1970, I felt it was critical to get into the system to bring more programs and services to my community. I ran for Congress in 1970 to publicize the declining conditions in my area. I lost narrowly to Herman Badillo and came back in 1971 to form my own political club. During the 1972 election, I was a strong supporter of Sen. George McGovern (along with Patrick J. Cunningham) and was elected a Democratic district leader. As a party official, I have been able to use my influence to bring additional services to my constituents. Last year, I won election to the City Council in a tri-borough district. I really have no long range ambitions and have repeatedly said that I will retire from politics when the Puerto Rican community develops capable political leaders with a deep concern for the people. To date, such leaders have not emerged. Herman Badillo is perhaps the most articulate spokesman in the community, but Badillo had failed repeatedly to get involved with any grass roots problems. Badillo is what I call "a press release" congressman. He will offer numerous suggestions for action but rarely follows through. Much of the Puerto Rican anti-poverty leadership has ignored the needs of the people in efforts to advance their personal careers. I have also opposed this leadership.

I appreciate Mr. Rodriguez's concern for his people and I invite him to join my club in an effort to improve the quality of life in the South Bronx. The problems of our area are too pressing for people to feud among themselves.

Father Louis Gigante, a New York City councilman, is presently a fellow at the Kennedy Institute of Politics.