Bruins Pick Howe; Rangers Trade Hadfield

The coachless Boston Bruins and the captain-less New York Rangers each made moves yesterday to strengthen their National Hockey League clubs.

The Bruins, whose coach Bep Guidolin resigned Monday, selected Mark Howe yesterday as one of their three picks in the NHL junior amateur draft. Howe played last season with his father Gordie and brother on the Houston Aeros of the World Hockey Association. The left winger, who turned 19 Tuesday, scored 38 goals and had 41 assists as he earned honors as the league's rookie of the year.

Picking 18th, 25th, and 30th in the first three rounds, the Bruins also announced the drafting of right winger Donald Larway and left winger Pete Sturgeon. Larway tallied 46 goals and 36 assists for the Swift Current Broncos, while Sturgeon had 39 scores and 48 assists for the Kitchener Rangers.

Meanwhile, the New York Rangers traded captain Vic Hadfield to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for defenseman Nick Beverly.

Hadfield, 34 years old, has been captain of the Rangers for the last three seasons and enjoyed his finest year in 1971-72 when he became the first Ranger to score 50 goals in a season. He totaled 106 points that season, fourth best in the NHL.

Following his big year, Hadfield signed a five-year contract with the Rangers for a reported $1 million. He has three years remaining on that agreement. Hampered by injuries and a bad ankle, he slipped to 27 goals and 28 assists for a 55 point total last season.

Beverly, 26, was acquired by the Penguins midway through last season in a deal that sent Darryl Edestrand to the Bruins. He played a total of 68 games last season with the two clubs.