Crimson Gridders Squash Holy Cross In Opener

By Thomas Aronson

The offense was sluggish and the defense was occasionally dented by an unspectacular Holy Cross offense, but Harvard's football machine nevertheless rolled on to a 24-14 victory over the Crusaders in the opening game of its 1974-75 season.

The contest was in doubt, to say the least, until well into the final period. It was then, with about ten minutes left in the game that quarterback Milt Holt spiralled a 47-yard bomb into the waiting arms of record-setting split end Pat McInally, sending Harvard to an insurmountable 24-7 lead.

McInally began the season on an odd note, when he unleashed a 40-yard onside kick to start the contest. With a somewhat bewildered group of Crusaders looking on, Harvard's Alex Costello fell on the untouched ball, and the Crimson took over on the Holy Cross 20.

Six plays later, McInally snared a Holt aerial just inches short of the goal line, setting up Harvard's first touchdown of the year and also establishing a new Crimson record, most career receptions, for the 6 ft. 6 in. senior. The grab, Mac's 62nd lifetime, eclipsed the old standard set by Carter Lloyd.

Left halfback Alky Tsitsos picked up the needed footage on the ensuing play, then booted the extra point himself, and Harvard led, 7-0, after three minutes of action.

An inspired defense then shut the door on the Crusaders, and six minutes later, Tsitsos boomed a tremendous 42-yard field goal, and the Crimson led by ten.

What looked to many in the Soldiers Field crowd of 17,500 to be a Harvard rout then changed complexion rapidly, as Crusader signalcaller Bob Morton led a convincing Holy Cross drive through the Harvard defense, culminating in a touchdown at 2:16 of the second stanza.

With bruising sophomore fullback Mark Cannon doing most of the heavy work, the Crusaders travelled 48 yards in ten plays. An 11-yard Morton pass to wide receiver Dave Quehl set up a one-yard plunge by the quarterback, cutting the Harvard margin to three points.

Twenty-eight minutes of scoreless football followed, highlighted by numerous Crimson opportunities to score, all of which Harvard blundered. Harvard moved to the Crusader 22-yard line halfway though the second period when Holt picked up his own fumble, reversed his field and carried fifteen yards around right end. Three unsuccessful plays then set up a Tsitsos field goal attempt of 36 yards, which carried wide to the left.

The Crimson again penetrated into Crusader territory as the first half was drawing to a close, with McInally picking up his fourth reception of the game. Holt was dumped for a loss of nine, however, and Harvard was forced to punt.

More chances were thrown away in the third period, including a first down on the Crusader 12 after Fran Cronin had blocked a Holy Cross punt. A clipping penalty moved the Harvard troops back to the 25, where the offense stalled out one more time.

As the final period got underway, Holy Cross donated another opportunity to the Harvard cause when its attempt to block a McInally punt backfired and the Crusaders picked up a penalty for roughing the kicker.

The fourth serious Crimson threat was again sputtering to an end when suddenly, and dramatically, fullback Tom Lincoln took a screen pass from Holt and rumbled 27 yards for the score. As the Harvard crowd voiced its approval and relief, Tsitsos split the uprights for the PAT and Harvard led, 17-7. Holt then hooked up with McInally for the bomb that iced Harvard's first win of the season.

Holy Cross added a final touchdown with a little more than four minutes remaining.

Holt finished the game with 14 completions in 24 attempts for 179 yards. Tsitsos was the game's leading rusher with 43 yards, while McInally led all receivers with six catches for 118.