Princeton Stickers Blank Radcliffe, 4-0, To Remain Unbeaten; Rhodes Shines

By Jon Ledecky

Tiger field hockey stalwart Emily Goodfellow picked up the coveted three-goal "hat-trick" enroute to a 4-0 Princeton victory over host Radcliffe, in a Saturday morning encounter at Soldiers Field.

The win boosted the undefeated Tigers' mark to 8-0-2, tops in the Ivy League circuit.

Senior Goodfellow, Princeton's leading scorer, wasted no time in giving the Tigers an early edge. Three minutes into the contest, Goodfellow slapped a clean shot past the right side of 'Cliffe goalie Carlene Rhodes. The goal came off a penalty corner, one of several that Princeton garnered in the first half.

Netminder Rhodes received words of praise from friend and foe alike following a superb performance in the twines. Overall, the versatile senior stymied 16 Princeton shots with brilliant leg work and nifty stick stops.

Tiger co-captain Amy Knox put it in a nutshell. "Carlene is probably the best goalie we've faced this year. She kept them in the game all the way."

Princeton throughly dominated the first half with a dynamic attack. In fact, Radcliffe had trouble clearing the ball past the midfield stripe. The Tigers' tight support meant a 30-minute breather for goalie Pat Harnish, who didn't have to handle a single Crimson shot.

Fired a Boomer

Meanwhile, opposite number Rhodes had her hands full. With six minutes remaining in the half, Princeton applied tremendous pressure. Rhodes managed to flag down two Tiger drives ticketed for the goal before sophomore Terry Carp gave the visitors a 2-0 halftime lead. The left-halfback grabbed a loose ball in the middle of the circle, and fired a booming shot past the 'Cliffe defense.

Tiger Goodfellow, who will earn a school-record 12 varsity letters by the time she graduates this spring, gave a videotape replay of her first half antics. The speedy right-inner capped a full-field rush with a goal at the 1:30 mark. Goodfellow decked a defender at the top of the circle with a short self-pass, then drove it home on the right side for a 3-0 Princeton lead.

Perhaps inspired by the practicing Harvard band's rendition of the William Tell overture, Radcliffe briefly turned the tide midway through the half. Senior Maude Wood's shot on the door-step was kicked out by goalie Harnish, but the rebound was fanned on by the Crimson, and eventually cleared by the Princeton defense.

Moments later, Karen Lindsey maneuvered her way downfield on a scintillating rush. But the standout junior's bristling shot was wide of the mark. Coach Debbi Field beamed at the sudden shift in momentum, and termed the "collective push" a sign of times to come.

Barrage Culminates

Five successive saves by Rhodes marked an ardent three-minute assault on the Radcliffe goal. The barrage culminated in Emily Goodfellow's third tally, a crackblast which hopped over Rhodes' outstretched stick at 23:20.

Karen Lindsey, freshwoman sensation Mary Howard, and senior Cha-Nan Tang, all wristed shots in the final moments. But despite their efforts, and the sterling playmaking of left-inner Gwill York, Radcliffe was unable to break a shutout hex that has haunted them in recent outing.