Stickwomen Trounce BU; Eye Upset Win Over Yale

By Theodore A. Christopher

Paced by all-stars Maude Wood and Karen Linsley, the Radcliffe field hockey team tallied four goals and held BU forces scoreless yesterday to claim its second victory of the season.

The win breaks the Crimson's eight-game losing streak and ups the team's season record to 2-9-3.

Radcliffe completely dominated the game. Crimson stickwomen drove 12 shots in on BU goalie Carole Rundlett while Crimson goalie Carlene Rhodes was tested only once in sixty minutes of play.

The Crimson wasted no time in establishing control of the game. Intercepting BU clearing shots and hitting the open forwards and wings, Radcliffe applied constant pressure to a shaky BU defense early in the game.

It was Maude Wood who finally found the handle and drove a low, hard shot from the left side. BU goalie Carol Rundlett made the initial save but couldn't stop Karen Linsley's shot on the rush (10:15)

The Radcliffe goal seemed to arouse the Terriers as they regrouped to mount two quick attacks on the Crimson defense. Bursting past Radcliffe fullbacks, the BU front line narrowly missed tying the game when two drives missed the Crimson net by inches.

Maude Wood quickly brought things under control. Her drive from the left side trickled between the legs of goalie Rundlett, (19:30), for an unassisted tally and the frustrated Terriers were quickly behind 2-0.

The second half began with neither team mounting much of an attack. Again, the Crimson defense seemed to have trouble keeping ahead of BU forwards, but key plays by fullback Ann Dupuis forestalled any serious threats on goalie Rhodes.

At 10:20 of the period, the 'Cliffe offense clicked again. This time, left inside Gwill York found the range with a short drive just over the outstretched leg of goalie Rundlett.

For the last twenty minutes of the game, Radcliffe offensive and defensive play was superb, keeping the ball almost exclusively in BU territory. Capitalizing on the Terriers' inability to clear the ball, Karen Linsley scored a second goal as her drive ricocheted off the pads of an anguished BU goalie (18:40).

"We finally got it together today," said 'Cliffe coach Debi Field afterwards, "but I think it was a combination of BU being a weaker team, and us looking ahead to Yale tommorrow."