Kubacki Garners Top Honors At Football Testimonial Fete

Crimson quarterback Jim Kubacki, who in his first varsity season led Harvard to its only undisputed Ivy League football championship in Saturday's win over Yale, last night was named the 27th recipient of the Frederick Greeley Crocker Award as the team's outstanding player.

Kubacki, a junior, was the first underclassmen voted the award by his teammates. The award, presented at the Crimson's annual football dinner at the Harvard Club of Boston, is annually given to the "Harvard football letterman who...possesses the initiative, perseverance, courage and selflessness which were demonstrated by the late Ted Crocker."

Although he missed a game and a half after suffering a slight shoulder separation against Penn, the Fairview Park, Ohio, native nonetheless set a single-season Harvard total offense record of 1701 yards, passing for 11 touchdowns and running for four. Kubacki completed 77 of 137 pass attempts on the year for 1273 yards while rushing for 428 yards.

Besides the Crocker Award, four additional awards were presented at the testimonial dinner.

Neal Miller won the first Robert F. Kennedy Award, established in Kennedy's memory by his 1945, 1946 and 1947 Harvard teammates, to be given to the player "who through his desire, his determination and willingness to work had made himself a valuable member of the varsity football team, and thereby, had gained the respect and admiration of his teammates and coaches."

Miller, a senior fullback from El Segundo, Calif., led Harvard in rushing as a sophomore with 810 yards, suffered serious junior year injuries, then came back to play a big role on 1975's championship squad. Miller finished his career with 1067 yards rushing and 234 yards receiving, as well as contributing solid blocking in the backfield.

Theodore Jadick, a senior linebacker from Franklin Lakes, N.J., received the William Paine La Croix Trophy. Jadick remained in the Crimson football program despite neck, knee and leg injuries throughout his career. "This is one of my favorite awards," coach Joe Restic remarked. "Ted gave as much to our program on the sidelines as any senior on the field and was especially helpful to our defensive coaching staff this year."

Defensive safety Francis Cronin, who led the Crimson in interceptions last year, garnered the Henry N. Lamar Award, given to the senior "who through his dedication to Harvard football, has made a unique contribution to the program."

Senior center Carl Culig of McKeesport, Pa., won the second annual Joseph E. Wolf Award as the outstanding Crimson lineman. Culig, a three-year starter, was an All-Ivy center as a junior.