Linsley, Wood Named All-Stars But 'Cliffe Drops Two Games

By Ann M. Koufman

After strong performances this weekend at a Northeastern tournament, Karen Linsley and Maude Wood were named to the All-Star teams of the Northeastern Field Hockey Association.

Linsley and Wood, Radcliffe's two highest scorers this season, will play on the All-College Division B teams that compete in the Regionals on November 15 and 16.

Things did not go so well for Radcliffe, however, as the stickwomen dropped a 3-1 contest to Bates and suffered a shutout at the hands of Bridgeport.

A 2-2 tie with Worcester State was the most the 'Cliffe could salvage.

The All-Stars from each college will be scrimmaging this weekend at Soldiers Field under the direction of Radcliffe Coach Debi Field. The Association asked Field yesterday to prepare the All-Stars as a team for the regional tournament.

Field said last night that she has only one practice to make them into teams, "but it won't be difficult since each individual is such a strong player."

Although the emphasis was on individual performances, Field said, "For the most part we really played well together as a team. We should have won some of our games." The score was tied at one-all in the game against Bates until the last five minutes. Possessing the ball 95 per cent of the time and firing nine shots on goal the 'Cliffe could not penetrate the Bridgeport net. Field said that the score could have easily gone either way in the Worcester State game as Maude Wood scored a third goal on a penalty flick near the end of the game. It was called back, however, because she committed sticks.

"I was impressed by many of my players who had been steady throughout the season but who really outdid themselves this weekend," Field said.

Margi Williams participated in the final trials but was not chosen to play on either team, and Field said she is very surprised that the Association did not ask Maureen Mason to try-out in the final rounds.

The Association elected Field vice-chairman of the Northeastern Field Hockey Association yesterday. Field said she will be responsible for organizing college tournaments in the East.