Blind Freshman Makes His First Start As Crimson Matmen Tangle With B.U.

By David Clarke

Today's varsity wrestling match against Boston University is an important one for the entire team, but the contest has even greater meaning for Ed Bordley (167 lbs.), a blind freshman from Delaware, for it marks his first Harvard varsity start.

"I want the start badly," Bordley said yesterday. "I haven't practiced well in the last week, but it's a big thing to me."

"Last week, as I knelt beside the mat wearing the JV uniform for the first time, I fingered the letters on the jacket and I just broke out in a smile thinking about it," he continued.

A series of matches within the ranks of the team decide who will start for the Crimson. Bordley has battled teammate Jon Franklin twice for the honor, and both times they have wrestled to a tie.

Coach John Lee tabbed the more experienced Franklin to start against Springfield last week. Meanwhile, Bordley defeated an excellent JV opponent, 12-10. This week, it is Bordley who will face the varsity competition.

He has concluded that his blindness is not a great disadvantage except when he is on his feet. He is in trouble when an opponent manages to get to his feet, breaks away, and then hits him with a tackle he cannot anticipate.

The Crimson grappler is determined to improve in this facet of the sport. "I want to be better than mediocre, and if I'm ever going to be, I'll have to work until I don't feel at a disadvantage in that situation," Bordley said.

"I've got to keep concentrating. I constantly find myself wanting to wrestle like I did in high school. There are many things you can get away with there that you'll get burned for in college," Bordley continued.

All in all, though, the freshman grappler seems capable of handling the challenge. Bordley's high school record is a testament to his talents. He was the Delaware state champion in his weight class as a junior, and he was undefeated as a senior until he was upset in the first round of the state tournament.

Bordley has worked hard to adapt to college competition. Lee calls him, "the most teachable wrestler I've ever had. He's a rapid fire learner."

Team Stronger for BU

Harvard will send a much stronger squad into the BU match than the Crimson group which lost to Springfield last week. Jim Corcoran (158 lbs.) returns from an injury, allowing his replacement Tom Bixby to drop back to his normal 150 lbs. slot. In addition, George Baker (142 lbs.) who went 12-2 as a sophomore but sat out last year, has returned to claim his starting berth.