POLITICS AND RACISM

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson

In his February 4 Crimson editorial entitled. "Under a Glumping Sky," Edmond Horsey seems to be echoing the comment of the bystander who said. "The march is good. It will point out that the issue isn't racist, it's a busing issue..." This attempt to depoliticize the Dec. 14 March Against Racism destroys its very purpose Racism is not an issue of "nuts and bolts," as Mr. Horsey says, it is an intensely political issue which transcends the boundaries and agencies of the American political system (i.e., election, school committees legislation, etc.). That is why any confrontation with racism must inevitably touch upon the question of revolution--the attempt to bring about a fundamental change in the political (and economic) system is which racism plays such an important part.

Mr. Horsey says that. "The real issue had never been approached in the midst of honest to God' battle it was forgotten, while viva is Revolucion" et al. was the day's chant." Although the factional squabbles Mr. Horsey describes are regrettable, the real issue of the march--racism--has more to do with revolution than with busing or schoolchildren. --Jon Jacobs