Thinclads Decimate Yale; Will Send 19 to England

By James E. Mcgrath

The Harvard track team will send 19 men to the annual Harvard. Yale-Oxford. Cambridge meet next June by virtue of trouncing a weak Yale Squad 105-49 yesterday in New Haven.

Twenty-eight competitors will go to the meet on June 9-19 from the two Ivy League schools, and the purpose of yesterday's meet was to determine exactly what the composition of that team will be. Yale will send but nine men, for that was all the Elis could manage to place first or second.

High Jump

The most exciting contest of the day was the high jump, where John McCullough nipped his Yale opponent on his last try at 6 ft. 8 in. to finish second and win a trip to England. Harvard's Mel Embree won the event in 6 ft. 10 in., a new meet record.

One of the keys in the Crimson victory was the performance of Steve Niemi and Dan Jiggets in the hammer throw. Jiggets won the event with a throw of 176.5 ft., his personal best by ten feet. Niemi also threw at 176.5 footer, but Jiggets was awarded first place by virtue of a better second throw.

Harvard finished one-two in the pole vault as co-captain Blayne Heckel won the event in 13 ft. 6 in., while teammate Huntington Block finished second.

The Crimson won the long jump with Vincent, Vanderpool-Wallace's 22.9, the half mile, with Bill Okerman's 1:55.5, the three-mile with Jim Keefe's 14:37.8. the shotput with Kevin McCafferty's 51 ft. 10.5 in., and the 440 intermediate hurdles with Gary Schmidt's 54.4.

"It was a nice one to win," co-captain Blayne Heckel said last night. "I was especially glad that we kept the ball rolling after that win against Princeton Saturday."

Last Saturday the Crimson thinclads defeated a strong Princeton squad, 86-68, in what Heckel said was "our best performance of the year."

Heckel led the squad by beating a previously unbeaten Tiger pole vaulter when he jumped 14 ft. 6 in. Keefe's victory in the three mile and Vanderpool-Wallace's triumph in the long jump were instrumental in leading the Crimson past the highly-touted Tiger squad.