Voter Increase

By David J. Wlody

An increase in the number of college students registered to vote in Cambridge will "absolutely" lead to a more liberal electorate, David E. Sullivan, chairman of Cambridge Convention '75, a liberal political group, said yesterday.

The number of registered voters has increased from 45,000 at the beginning of 1975 to the present 53,000. Sullivan said this 8000 voter increase actually represents a loss of 5000 voters, and a gain of 13,000 newly registered voters, who will be "overwhelmingly progressive."

Sullivan cited the state representative race between John J. Toomey and City Councillor Saundra Graham as one in which student voters will figure prominently. He said, "It's the end of the world" for Toomey.

Although the number of registered voters has increased by only 2000 since 1972. Sullivan said, the gain is very significant because the Cambridge population has dropped in the same period. Cambridge is the only city in Massachusetts to show any increase in registered voters, Sullivan added.