Harvard Gridders Capture Six Spots On All-Ivy Team

Six starters from this year's Crimson football squad were named on Friday to the All-Ivy League football team.

Cast of Four

Captain Billy Emper led a cast of four Harvard returnees from last season's all-league squad. Among them were tight end Bob McDermott, running-back Tommy Winn, and linebacker Tommy Joyce. Joyce was also named on Saturday to the All-ECAC squad, the only Crimson gridder to achieve that honor.

Defensive end Bob Baggott and linemate Charley Kaye both were named to the All-Ivy team for the first time.

machine, the cagers almost totally dismantled themselves in the first half. A short-lived 3-2 Harvard lead was violently turned around by a 16-2 Minutemen spurt, and the 36-21 UMass margin at intermission was obnoxiously hinting at last place for the hoopsters.

Harvard woke up enough in the second half to make the game interesting. The streak shooting of Captain Jeff Hill (9 pts.), and Bob Hooft (14) prevented the Minutemen from turning the game into a laugher and made the final score a respectable 69-50 for UMass.

However, Harvard's poor shooting (a miniscule 28.5 per cent from the floor) was far from respectable. Sanders claimed it wasn't the UMass defense which humbled the team, but "just an inability to make the short shots, the layups, and the ten-footers."

In addition, the Minutemen took advantage of the Crimson's height deficit by out-rebounding them 47-33. Chief culprit was forward Jim Town, who swiped 18 off the backboard along with popping for 16 points. Town and Bouie of Syracuse were both named to the All-Tourney team.

So what does this all mean now? Sanders seems to think that his team learned what it will take for them to win as well as lose during the upcoming season.

"Both teams fast broke us badly," Sanders said. "We must slow down the pace like we did against Syracuse in the first half, but for the entire game."

"As for scoring, we were too streaky and we didn't play up to our potential. If we're going to win any games, we'll need five men performing at their top form every game," he added.

Sanders and his squad will travel back to Springfield on Wednesday to face Springfield College and give their "team play and ball control" strategy another try.