Nesson Aids Morton Halperin In Kissinger Wire-Tapping Suit

By Jonathan H. Alter

Charles R. Nesson '60, professor of Law, said yesterday he is helping represent former National Security Council staff member Morton Halperin in his suit against former President Nixon, Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger '50 and other members of Nixon's administration.

Well in Hand

The civil suit stems from charges that the FBI placed a wiretap on Halperin's home telephone for over 21 months between 1969 and 1971. Thirteen other government officials and four journalists were also reportedly placed under surveillance.

Both Nesson and Halperin refused to comment yesterday on reports that Nixon swore in a deposition last month that Kissinger had been incorrect in stating he ordered the taps at the President's request.

Nixon's deposition, taken at his home in San Clemente, is expected to be signed and filed in federal court by the time the former president goes to China this weekend, Halperin said.

"I am confident we will eventually win the case," Halperin said.

Nesson said yesterday Halperin asked him to help with the case because the two had been closely associated during the Pentagon Papers trial of Daniel Ellsberg '52.

The pre-trial work in the Halperin case is almost complete, with only Kissinger's deposition yet to be taken, he said.

Nesson himself did a good deal of the early research in the case, he said, "tracking the tap through the phone company and FBI hierarchy."

Federal statutes state that persons convicted of wiretapping can be fined $100 for each day of the illegal surveillance.