Matmen Shaded by Bucs After Demolishing Brown

By David Clarke

The varsity wrestlers, with two regulars out of action because of injuries, took on an impressive squad from Mass Maritime on Saturday and came out on the short end of a 22-17 verdict. It was the fourth time this season the grapplers have lost a contest that hinged on the outcome of a single match.

Earlier in the day, Brown forfeited six matches and split the other four with wrestlers who Harvard coach John Lee temporarily promoted from the J.V. as the Crimson was awarded a 42-6 win in the first match of a scheduled tri-meet. Mass Maritime worked out against the Bruins, too, romping 45-12.

In the main event between Mass Maritime and Harvard, the action opened with Mike Tobin (118 lbs.) dominating Harvard's Dave Albert from beginning to end for a 10-0 triumph.

Milt Yasunaga (126 lbs.) followed with a second period pin that put the Crimson ahead 6-4. Bill Mulvihill (134 lbs.) added to the lead with a one-sided 5-0 victory.

Roof Fell In

Then the roof fell in on the Crimson grapplers. Buccaneer Mike McLarney (142 lbs.) stomped all over veteran George Baker for a 12-4 decision, and Kelly Jenson (150 lbs.), subbing for injured Harvard matman Tom Bixby, was beaten 16-8. Bob Harris (158 lbs.) flattened Harvard's Jim Corcoran 10-3, and blind freshman Ed Bordley was bested too, 9-2. Harvard trailed 18-9.

Captain Jim Strathmeyer (177 lbs.) won his fifth straight match, 6-0, topull Harvard within six points, but any remaining Crimson hopes were largely an illusion. Mass Maritime's entry at 190 lbs., Leon Dunham, came into the match with a perfect 26-0 record, and facing him was second-stringer Fred Smith, replacing the injured Sal D'agostino. Dunham manhandled Smith, 10-1, and the match was a good as over.

Kip Smith (UNL) has turned in a number of fine performances for Harvard this year, but too often the match has already been decided before he gets his chance. That was the case again on Saturday, when he was awarded four nearfalls and won a 19-2 laugher.

The loss really wasn't as close as the score would indicate, since Harvard really wasn't even competitive in any of the matches it lost. That is why Bixby's injury was so crucial, since Lee thinks Bixby might have won at 150 lbs. His replacement instead came away a 16-8 loser.