Peabody Receives Award As Unsung Football Hero

By Carl A. Esterhay

Robert L. Peabody '77 yesterday received the 28th annual Tobacco Table Unsung Hero award for his participation in Harvard's 1976 football season.

The award honors the New England football player that contributes the most to his team--without starting.

Peabody was a reserve offensive tackle and saw little action in his three years with the Harvard football team. Joe Restic, coach of the football team, said yesterday that even as a non-starter, "Bob has been outstanding for us without getting the headlines. He is always a leader, always in the ballgame, and always raises morale."

Peabody has garnared other honors this year. After the Yale game he was given the Henry N. Lamar award for his contributions to the football program. His classmates also elected him First Marshall for the Class of 1977 last month.

Peabody is the fifth player from Harvard to win the award and the first since 1964.

After hearing of the award he said, "It's a great privilege. It's nice to be recognized for your contributions even if you do not make the headlines."

A group of Boston business people sponsor the award, and the selection committee includes local sportswriters.

Peabody's participation in football is not the Peabody family's only involvement with the sport at Harvard. His father, Endicott Peabody '42, former governor of Massachusetts, was a Harvard All-American.