Hockey Ties

A psyched Radcliffe field hockey team burst onto the polyturf of Ithaca's Shoellkoph Field at 10:30 p.m. Saturday night and emerged 70 minutes later, frustrated by a scoreless tie with the Cornell Redwomen.

"It was a game we should have won, deserved to win and didn't," Radcliffe Coach Debi Field said yesterday.

The Crimson stickwomen displayed superior control throughout the game, amassing a penetration time advantage of nearly three minutes. (In field hockey, a 30 second time advantage denotes a close game.)

"We outplayed them team captain Lucy Wood said yesterday. "We moved the ball upfield from the defense to the offense with good passing. In fact we did everything well but score."

The Crimson had their opportunities, though. Each member of the front line went one-on-one with the Cornell goalie at least once during the game. Coach Field said, "We had out chances but they were missed." The attack had 12 shots on goal, although only four actually got through to the goalie.

Although the game's outcome may have been disappointing, the game itself was not. The team worked well together against a strong Cornell squad, which has already chalked up an Ivy League victory against the University of Pennsylvania.

How You Play

In field hockey, if you don't win and you don't lose, it's not how you play the game that matters. What matters in the non-Ivy standings is penetration time. And since the Crimson had the edge, the game is recorded in the standings as a win for them, thus helping the team in its bid to gain a berth in the Eastern Championship. Even though the final score was 0-0, all was not tied.