ZAIREOIS REBELS ESTABLISH ORDER IN OCCUPIED LANDS

The Real World

By Omar E. Rahman, Compiled From Wire Dispatches

KINSHASA, ZAIRE-Invading Katangian forces in Zaire's Shaba province are about 50 miles west of Kilwezi, a major copper mining center, and have made no new moves in the last few days. Reports indicate that the Katangian troops are trying to set up a civil administration in the occupied territories.

President Mobuto of Zaire claims that the rebels are backed by the Soviet Union, Cuba and Angola and has urgently appealed for aid from a number of Western countries and non-communist regimes in Africa.

Morocco has sent 1000 troops to aid Zaire government forces, in response to President Mobutu's appeal. The government troops are currently attempting to consolidate their supply lines in shaba province.

In addition to Morocco, France and Belgium have also sent military advisors to Zaire. The U.S. government announced Tuesday it is sending a second shipment of emergency aid to Mobutu--including a $9 million C130 plane and $4million in equipment.

Angolan Foreign Minister Paole Jorge said in Paris that Western intervention in Zaire "could have very grave implications."