Women's Dinner Scheduled Tonight At Mather House

The Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) will hold a women's dinner in the Mather House game room today after its plans for a dinner in the House dining hall were cancelled, Denise M. Moorehead '77, RUS vice president, said last week.

The dinner follows a three-month search for dining accommodations. Allegations that the all-women's dinner would be a form of reverse discrimination prompted a ruling by Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, against the dinner in Mather dining hall.

Ruth Colker '78, RUS president, said last week she is not satisfied with the compromise. RUS is "not just another organization; we are the representative government of the Radcliffe student body," she said.

Epps based his decision on Harvard's general policy stating that members of a House must have full access to the main dining hall. Epps said Wednesday he has agreed to provide tables and chairs as a way to co-operate with the women and to get the dinners started at the River Houses.

Epps said Wednesday that such alternatives meet the demands of RUS and satisfies the College's view that regular meal hours not be disrupted.

Up to now, RUS has held its dinners and meetings at the Radcliffe Quad, in Moors Hall.

The River House location will allow more people to attend the dinners, Moorehead said yesterday. She added RUS expects 100 people to come to the dinner.