City Decision On Late Films Baffles Danehy

Both Cambridge Mayor Thomas W. Danehy and local cinema owners yesterday expressed surprise and concern after the city denied the Brattle Theatre a permit to show midnight movies--a regular offering of other city moviehouses.

"I did not know until this morning that some theaters run shows at midnight," Danehy said. "No one has ever complained about it, and I don't see anything wrong with it as long as everything is peaceful."

"The Board of Licenses' action seems strange," Danehy added. "I don't blame the theater for appealing the decision. I would appeal if I were in their position."

Board Chairman Mary Calnan and member William Cremin said Sunday that the board's decision was based on the amount of police protection and traffic in Harvard Square during the night.

The board will review the theater's application a week from today.

Local theater owners yesterday said they are concerned that the board might block future midnight shows in all Cambridge moviehouses. "It could cut severely into business," Jay Berman, part owner of the Off the Wall Cinema said yesterday.

But Calnan said yesterday, "I don't think that any of the theater owners have a cause for concern.

"It appears that the other theaters have been operating midnight shows due to an oversight. That will be discussed when the Brattle Theatre gets its rehearing next week."

Calnan stressed that the board's decision had nothing to do with the content of the movies the Brattle Theatre was scheduled to show over the weekend.

Calnan said Cambridge's other theaters may be asked to submit applications for midnight film permits, but added she doubted that any effort would be made to block the moviehouses from showing their regular midnight shows this weekend. "I can't speculate on what the board will do," she said.

Meanwhile, the Brattle Theatre has no plans to run late night shows. "We still assume that you need a separate license." Brattle Theatre Manager Harvey Meyerson said yesterday