Reconsidering Engelhard

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

President Bok is initially correct in barely acknowledging the student positions on the various issues sweeping the campus, including those concerning University-held investments in South Africa, and their dividends such as the Charles Engelhard Library in the John F. Kennedy School of Government. The current students will have graduated soon to be replaced by another crop committed to perhaps the opposite perspective in the current issues of debate. The Administration of President Bok however has responsibility for the long-run survival of the institution and the sensitive feelings of the University's older and more conservative alumni.

However, the insistent ethical perspective of the young often reminds the pragmatist adult of the course his own conscience would have him take. When contemplating courses of action we parents often think, "Will I be able to explain this to my son or daughter?", as well as "Will I be comfortable with myself afterwards?". Realizing their consciences aren't as tempered by the necessities of everyday life, we incorporate their perspective in making our judgements.

The Question at Hand is, "Does the practical consideration of having the public affairs library endowed by whomever outweigh the ethical consideration that whomever does not meet the standards for leadership in public affairs?". I think not. The endowment should be returned.

The library and building at the Kennedy School are public affairs institutions. The pain and suffering Charles Engelhard caused in his private pursuit of wealth contradicts the sensitivity the public person or institution must have to ethics. Witness the sympathy with the demonstrators by the public figures (Senator Kennedy, Mrs. Onassis and Senator Brooke), present at the school's dedication. Engelhard is not perceived as an ethical public figure by the Kennedy School Community, by the Harvard community or by the world at large and thus has no place as a symbol of achievement on the walls of the school. Public figures must conduct their lives as if all their actions would be subject to public scrutiny. Public institutions must embody the ideals with which they seek to ennoble their community.

Whereas there must be administrative resistance to reversals of decisions in response to student pressure, the University must respond when the students have made the most important argument. The inertia of petty-bureaucrats cannot be allowed to subsume the best interests of the community. Harvard must change to grow, or else its "Living Memorials" will become mausoleums of poor judgement. Stanley W. Burrows, MPA '79