Assembly Asks the Corporation To Rename Engelhard Library

By J. WYATT Emmerich

The Student Assembly last night voted by a wide margin to condemn the Harvard Corporation for allowing the Kennedy School to name a library after Charles W. Engelhard and called upon the Corporation to take whatever steps necessary to change the library's name.

"We strongly condemn the Corporation for its insensitivity in according recognition and legitimacy to a supporter and personal benficiary of the South Africa system of apartheid," the resolution states.

A resolution urging the University to return the $1 million donated by the Charles W. Engelhard Foundation failed because many assembly representatives wanted to focus on the demand that the library be renamed.

"We cannot look into the source of every dollar Harvard takes," Daniel Esty '81, a Winthrop representative, said during the debate.

The assembly voted to send copies of the resolution to President Bok, the Board of Overseers and Graham T. Allison Jr. '62, dean of the Kennedy School.

The assembly also voted to send a letter to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) explaining why the assembly wants the Engelhard Library renamed and asking Kennedy for support.

In other action, the assembly passed a resolution by a wide margin calling upon students to personally boycott all products manufactured by Nestle Company and reissuing the assembly's request that the University Food Services not purchase Nestle products.

Blacklist

In addition, the assembly voted to ask the Food Services to make available to students a list of all products the Food Services serves that are purchased from Nestle and any subsidiaries of Nestle.

Robert E. Grady '80, chairman of a special assembly committee to deal with the Nestle issue, said during the discussion, "Evidently the extent of their (the Food Service's) purchases from Nestle may be greater than we realize."

Michael A. Calabrese '79, chairman of the college life committee, introduced a resolution, which was passed over-whelmingly, inviting Dean Rosovsky to attend an open meeting with students, sponsored by the assembly.