Footnotes on Footlights

What's worth wet feet? Consider the price of a play this weekend: waterlogged Wallabies, slush-flooded socks, or klunking around in
By Jurretta J. Heckscher

What's worth wet feet? Consider the price of a play this weekend: waterlogged Wallabies, slush-flooded socks, or klunking around in cast-iron boots so clumsy you wouldn't consider putting them on your pet cow. If you had a pet cow. Never mind escapism, or entertainment, or culture, or any of the other reasons the parts of you from the ankles up may have used to justify play-going in the past. The relevant fact this week is feet. Anything that's going to require a journey on the T. or extra slogging through the Cambridge glop had better be footworthy.

Here are a few you can bet your socks on.

Fun feet: Pippin, the five-year Broadway smash, blew into Boston last week. Part musical, part circus, it plays Mondays through Saturdays at 8, and Saturday at 2, at the Shubert. Your toes should leave tapping.

Cold feet: this weekend is the last chance to catch Deathtrap, Ira Levin's new comedy suspense thriller, before it heads for New York. Tonight through Saturday at 8, Saturday at 2, at the Wilbur Theatre.

Well-shod feet: Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing continues at the Shakespeare Company Theatre, Thursday and Saturday at 8.

Fleet feet: Bob Fosse, who directed and choreographed Pippin, is also the man behind Dancin'. The new show opening at the Colonial Theatre plays Monday through Saturday at 8, with Wednesday and Saturday matinees at 2. Consider kicking up your heels.

Folk feet: The Salmon People, a performance of imaginative puppetry based on a Potlatch legend of the Indians of the Pacific Northwest, is offered at the Suffolk University Auditorium, Saturday at 2 and 8 and Sunday at 2.

Fresh feet: Beginner's Luck. Jon Lipsky's (very) interpretive dramatization of the First Book of Samuel, is performed tonight through Saturday at 8 at the Overland Theater.

Feet feet (I couldn't resist): Footholds, billed as "a dramatic collage of women's writings," plays Sunday at 8 at the Newbury Street Theater.

Now, that ought to keep you from being footloose.