'I DIDN'T EVEN GET BREAKFAST'

The University's newest club sport, women's ice hockey, devoured an Ithaca College team on a recent Sunday morning. Hungry for victory, freshman Tania Huber slapped in two goals, her teammates added another five, and by the time Cantabrigians were sitting down for brunch, the Crimson had devoured the visiting squad, 7-2.

The makeshift unit of 15 women includes athletes with crew, soccer, field hockey, figure skating and dance experience. Only five have any ice-hockey background. "The first year you can't be fussy," remarks coach Joe Bertagna '73.

Captain Nelia Worsley joined with freshmen Lauren Norton and Tania Huber at fall registration to enlist recruits. Each player bought her own skates and helmet, and with an anonymous $500 gift the team acquired gloves, pads and sticks. Bertagna, Harvard's assistant director of sports information and a former varsity goalie, volunteered to coach. Practices were scheduled three times a week at the dinner hour--sandwiched between varsity and intramural ice time.

The Department of Athletics has honored the first-year efforts of the women's club by elevating it to the level of a Group II varsity sport. The new status provides the team with University funding for equipment, coaches and recruitment. With next year's sub-varsity status giving the squad more convenient game times, the skaters look forward to relaxed Sunday breakfasts.