Racquetmen Breeze Past Williams, 6-3

Lundy Loses in Heartbreaker

The Harvard men's tennis team breezed out to Williams yesterday afternoon and handily delivered a 6-3 decision to the Ephmen--nice match, thank you--before skipping on home in time to catch a latenight repast before Cahaly's closed.

Dave Fish's charges actually won just five matches, as they balanced their scoring sheet by settling for two half-wins in doubles matches that were called because of darkness.

No matter--the Crimson had already secured the team victory before the sun set over the western Massachusetts border. Harvard went 4-2 in the singles, before the third doubles team of Don Pompan and Greg Kirsch put away the match with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Peter Friessen and Alan Wall.

But the singles pretty much set the tone for the day. Coming off a serious ankle injury, number-two man Don Pompan looked rapier sharp as he disposed of Ephman Don O'Connell in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4.

The little big man, Andy Chaikovsky, took his time at fourth singles before taking care of Friessen in three sets, 6-1, 6-7 (5-1 tiebreaker), and 6-3.

The fifth and sixth singles provided a little comic relief, as Kevin Shaw and Greg Kirsch robbed their opponents of all but five games. Shaw humbled Allen Barnes at live, 6-3, 6-0, and what can you say about Kirsch's 2-and-0 victory over a guy named--get this--Evan Bash.

Scott Walker had a lousy Tuesday afternoon, breaking two racquets before losing at third singles 6-4, 7-6, with a stick borrowed from Chaikovsky.

Captain and number-one player Todd Lundy had an even lousier day. First, Lundy found himself trailing Williams's fired-up and strong-serving Martin Goldberg early in their match. Then, after battling back to within striking distance of victory, "The Doctor" suffered the most agonizing of agonizing defeats.

With the score at 3-6, 6-3 and 5-6, the match hinged on the 12th game of the third set, with Lundy serving to stay alive. Lundy put away Goldberg's return of his first serve at three-all, but the Ephman then claimed that the service was out.

Goldberg stood his ground, and then an upset Lundy double-faulted to lose the game (4-3), set (5-7) and match.

But it was a nice day for tennis--a breeze, in fact, just a breeze.