Recovered Art Haul Includes Paintings Stolen in '76 From Harvard Professor

By Katherine P. States

Police last week recovered ten paintings stolen in 1976 from the home of the director of the Fogg Museum.

The paintings, valued at $50,000, included "A Portrait of a Standing Young Man Holding a Pen," by Cornelius Van Haarlem, worth $30,000. They were stolen from the home of Seymour Slive, Gleason Professor of Fine Arts.

The artworks were among a large collection of stolen pieces found at the home of Bruce S. Emond, in Plymouth, Mass. Police arrested Emond for the thefts and for possession of drugs.

Police distributed the paintings, lamps, antiques and family heirlooms to their owners last week at a flea-market style display in Plymouth's Memorial Hall. Emond helped identify the owners.

Emond, a former art student and antique dealer, said in an interview with The Crimson he committed 11 art thefts with his homosexual lover, who he claims turned him in the authorities.

Sydney J. Freedberg '36, professor of Fine Arts, identified the Slive's paintings for the police. He said the display resembled "a University Press sale," adding that only the Slive's paintings could be "described with the utmost charity as art."