More Playboy

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Your refusal to carry the Playboy Magazine photo recruitment ad in The Harvard Crimson was an act of courage which I applaud. I deeply appreciate, from a thousand miles away, your recognition of sexism and your refusal to join the Playboy Corporation in sexist practices.

As a former resident of the campus of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. (1973-1976), I publicly opposed as inappropriate the presence there of the Playboy Playmate of the Year and the selling of $5000 worth of Playboy products at the Post Exchange at Christmas. Women on campus were forbidden to shop that evening. Two of the Playmate's bodyguards approached me and threatened me with physical and sexual violence. It was a terrifying experience.

Following the incident, military officials ordered my to "keep my mouth shut" or I would be removed from the post permanently. (My husband is a career Army Officer and was an instructor there). When I appealed for support to a national women's rights organization in Washington, D.C., I was told to "button my lip" because the Playboy Corporation had donated money to the women's movement.

You can see how frustrating my encounter with Playboy has been. It cost me grief and could have cost my husband his career.

Your refusal to carry the Playboy ad made me feel I was not alone.

Thank you. Lucy Hargrett