Racquetwomen Crush Unbeaten Bruins

Harrison Leads Charge

Riding the crest of sophomore Lisa Harrison's victory, the Harvard women's squash team yesterday coasted to a resounding 7-0 victory over Brown at Hemenway Gym.

The convincing win, which raised the racquetwomen's record to 3-0, was especially gratifying to the Crimson juniors and seniors who played under current Bruin coach Paul Moses from 1977 to 1978 when he was head coach at Harvard.

Line Shot

Harvard's current head coach, Jack Barnaby '32, said yesterday he had not expected the shutout but attributed the victory over the previously undefeated Bruins to the Crimson's "experience down the line."

Barnaby said that the racquetwomen have "lots of undeveloped potential" and that their success will depend on "how fast they develop. They're pretty good jocks," he added.

Senior captain Ellie Cunningham said after her 15-11, 15-7, 15-5 victory that yesterday's win over Brown was far more significant than an earlier shutout of Tufts at Hemenway.

Cunningham noted that not only were the Bruins an Ivy League opponent, but also they had taken their training for the Harvard match more seriously than the weak Tufts team had.

Hot Courts

And Brown, whose home courts are housed in the same building as the school pool is "used to Hemenway's heating conditions," Cunningham said.

After Harrison opened with a 13-15, 15-13, 15-7, 15-9 win in the number-one position, the Crimson racquetwomen did not allow the Bruins to force a single match beyond the minimum three games. And the Harvard J.V. also went undefeated, completing a 14-0 shellacking of the Bruins.

"It's encouraging to win against Brown because then we're guaranteed a shot at number one," an elated Jackie Corrigan said after her 15-13, 15-3, 15-2 triumph at the number-two slot.

Yale and especially Princeton loom as the major obstacles to the racquetwomen's designs on a number-one ranking. The perenially powerful Tigers, the Bulldogs and the Crimson will participate in the Howe Cup competition in February.

Calling Williams College the next "big risk" before the showdowns with Princeton and Yale, Coach Barnaby called yesterday's contest a "great, great match."