Propaganda

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

While reading "Group Attacks Wilson's Sociobiology" (December 13), I was disappointed to find that the International Committee Against Racism (INCAR) has joined the misinformed bandwagon against Wilson's theories. Granted, some of Wilson's colleagues have valid arguments against his work based on his methods and terminology. And, some other sociobiologists do propose theories containing racist implications. However, the theories INCAR attacks bear no resemblance to Wilson sociobiology. Professor Wilson simply suggests that human behavior is determined partially by genetic factors. He applies his theories to humans as a group, not individual races, but all humans. He has never written or spoken anything that would substantiate the claims of racism and sexism made against him.

As for the case of the British National Front cited in INCAR, I ask: what neo-Nazi group would not jump for the chance to base their racist actions on scientific theory? Ironically, they base their actions not on Wilson's writing, but distortions of it fabricated by anti-racist groups like INCAR.

It is time that groups like INCAR begin to examine Wilson's, and only Wilson's, work closely before calling for the removal of his course from the Core Curriculum. I am neither supporting nor condemning Wilson's theories. I am simply asking that we base our opinions on facts, rather than highly emotionalized propaganda. A. Brent Truitt '84