Professors Predict Haig's Confirmation, Dispute Former NATO Chief's Merits

News Reaction

Harvard experts yesterday disagreed over President-elect Ronald Reagan's choice of Gen. Alexander M. Haig Jr., former NATO commander-in-chief, for secretary of state, but predicted the Senate will confirm the nomination.

Albert Carnesale, professor of Public Policy, termed the Haig appointment "the end of an era," adding that "for a long time the country had hoped for a time in which military force played a less important role in world affairs." Haig is "a military careerist, not a statesman," he said.

Haig's Senate testimony on strategic arms limitations was "a morass of ambiguity and disingenuousness" and "a disgrace," David Riesman '31, Ford Professor of Social Sciences, said, adding that he was disturbed by Reagan's "hardline" choice. "It was tragic" that George Schultz, former secretary of the treasury, removed his name from consideration for the post, Riesman said.

Some Harvard professors, however, underscored Haig's foreign policy experience and praised him as a strategic thinker. "Mr. Haig knows where Berlin is," Karl W. Deutsch, professor of Government, said. "He will make no adventurist moves against Cuba without thinking of global consequences."

Richard Pipes, Baird Professor of History, called Haig "a man who has a rare combination of understanding political and military dimensions of foreign policy." Haig will be confirmed "rather swiftly," Pipes added.

Outside Complaint

Most professors agreed that Haig's association with Watergate is not a key issue. Riesman called it "relatively trivial" compared with Haig's military posture. Richard Neustadt, professor of Public Administration, said Democratic opposition to Haig based on Watergate alone would be ineffective, but that a discussion of Haig's role in Vietnam and Cambodia would be appropriate.

Adam Ulam, Gurney Professor of History and Political Science, said barring political skeletons from the Nixon Administration, Haig would be confirmed. However, Ulam questioned Haig's ability to achieve a consensus in foreign policy among Democrats and Republicans.

Saturday Night Massacre

Archibald E. Cox '34, Loeb Professor of Government, had no comment on Haig's nomination. Haig was a close adviser to former President Richard M. Nixon when Cox was dismissed from his position as Watergate special prosecutor.