Colby Shuts Out Crimson In Season's Seventh Loss

By Nancy F. Bauer

The icewomen's scoring extravaganza against University of Connecticut last week seemed to mark the end of this season's frustration--Harvard was consistently skating aggressively and with confidence.

But Saturday's game almost made you wonder whether the UConn game really took place, as Harvard once again suffered from a chronic inability to capitalize on scoring opportunities, falling to Colby College, 4-0.

Although Crimson defensemen like Lauren Norton and Julie Starr played their usually strong games, Harvard looked sloppy on offense through all three periods.

Although the Crimson attack penetrated the Colby zone again and again, the shutout was due largely to Colby goaltender Stephanie Vrattos' impressive play. The veteran netminder consistently warded off Harvard bullets that looked like they couldn't miss.

Archetype

In many ways, this game was a season archetype. Harvard matched Colby almost play for play--except when it came to scoring--and freshmen forwards Alex Lightfoot and Vicki Palmer once again demonstrated some fine skating skills.

But scoring, of course, is what counts in the end. Colby chalked up its first goal while Norton sat out her last two seconds in the penalty box in the middle of period one.

That lone goal proved to be all Colby would need to capture the win, but leading scorer Karen Cowles couldn't leave bad enough alone, clinching a hat trick with three well-deserved goals.

Skating onto the ice in the beginning of period two, the icewomen seemed psyched to make up the 1-0 deficit, as a group from the Harvard band and the crowd cheered them on.

Difficulties

But Cowles quickly extinguished that fire. Taking the puck right from the face-off, the Colby forward scored her first goal just ten seconds into the period.

A scant 20 seconds later, she flicked a quick wristshot past Crimson netminder Katie Williams; less than a minute into the second stanza Harvard found itself playing a much harder game of catch up.

Inoffensive

The third period brought more of the same. Cowles scored her final goal on another power play opportunity at 8:02, after which Colby's defense worked well to preserve the shutout.

Norton and winger Sara Fischer threatened late in the period, as Norton skillfully flew down the ice on a breakaway, passing to Fischer, who shot a beauty at Vrattos--only to have it repelled.

The icewomen get their next chance to prove that the UConn game is not a season exception today against Dartmouth at Bright.