Grapplers Squeeze Past B.C., Suffer Loss to Penn Quakers

By Micheile D. Healy

The injury-riddled Crimson wrestling squad battled its way through another tri-meet yesterday afternoon in the IAB, eking out a nerve-wracking 20-19 win over the Boston College Eagles but sustaining a heartbreaking 20-17 loss at the hands of the Penn Quakers.

Freshman Andy McNerney emerged as the Crimson's hero with victories in both his matches. Against B.C.'s Butch Montoya, McNerney used every existing version of the tilt and then invented a few variations of his own to traumatize the lackluster Eagle grappler, 8-0.

Penn's Roger Reina managed to reverse McNerney twice while the 126-Iber. tried to shift to the cradle, then fell victim to McNerney's unorthodox but heads-up style for a 9-6 loss.

Freshman Ed Gazvoda stepped into the 134-1b. slot ordinarily reserved for the recuperating Fritz Campbell, and posted two crucial victories. Gazvoda had a few tough moments with Penn's Evan Weiss, who kept the Crimson wunderkind within striking distance until Gazvoda lowered the boom with a quick second period takedown to grab the 7-5 win.

In his only bout of the afternoon, Paul Widerman found himself forced to accept a 0-0 tie when Jim Herson pulled all the stalling tricks he knew to keep the Crimson's ace 118-Iber. from chasing him right off the mat with his polished single and double leg moves.

The draw did not indicate a change in luck for Herson, who has suffered embarrassing moments opposite Widerman before, but instead showed tactical sense on the part of Quaker coach Larry Lauchle who encourage Herson to stay with the figure four control move.

A triumph over the Tigers would get the Crimson back on the right foot. In spite an impressive 9-4-1 record, the squad is 0-3 in the Ivy League.