Aquawomen Sink Dartmouth; Floyd, McCloskey Pace Team

By Caroline R. Adams

When Dartmouth's Big Green swimming machine rolled into Blodgett Pool last Friday afternoon, its record stood at 1-1 and it was hungry for a win to start its season out right. But as things turned out, not even a two-week training trip to Florida could help the tanned Dartmouth flotilla, as the Harvard aquawomen overcame the Bangkok flu and reading period doldrums to prevail, 99-50.

This being Dartmouth's first meet, coach Vicki Hays did not know how close the meet would be, and thus had to swim sick regulars like Terri Frick, Kathy Davis and Maureen Gildea. Only the very ill, like freshman sensation Debbie Zimic and sprinter Vicki Cirillo, were excused from competition but their absence apparently did not hurt the Crimson, as Harvard managed to capture first place in all but two individual events.

Yardling Jeanne Floyd and sophomore Kathleen McCloskey were the stars of the afternoon, each capturing three individual firsts with respectable, if slow, times. Floyd blew her competition away in every event, taking the 50-, 200- and 500-yd. freestyles with times of 26.02, 1:59.79 and 5:14.87. No one was even close in the 500, as Floyd calmly powered her way to a convincing lead by the tenth length of the race and then touched 25 seconds before Dartmouth's second-place finisher.

McCloskey, too, was unchallenged as she took the laurels in the 100-yd. freestyle and the grueling 400-yd. individual medley and the 200-yd. butterfly with times of 57.24, 4:59.23 and 2:13.07. Although her fly time was five seconds off her best this season, McCloskey remains Harvard's dominant butterflyer, having won every 100- and 200-yd. contest so far.

Other strong Crimson performances came from freshman Susan Kim, and sophomores Kathy Davis, Maureen Gildea and Terri Frick. Representing the new wave of swimming, Kim cavorted around behind the starting blocks in a gold lame vest and Devo-style glasses before winning the 100-yd. IM and the 50-yd. breaststroke with times of 1:05.46 and 34.37. And although they were recovering from the flu, Davis, Gildea and Frick all managed to pull out wins with gutsy performances.

The diving corps performed with its usual consistent excellence as junior Pam Stone and Adriana Holy went 1-2 in the one- and three-meter contests. Although freshman Cathy Josman took third in both events, an Ivy League rule against sweeps transferred Josman's points to Dartmouth.