U. of Kansas Denies Request To Write Taiwanese On Spies

LAWRENCE, Ka.--Officials at the University of Kansas (KU) recently announced that they will not send a letter of complaint to the Taiwanese government as requested by Taiwanese faculty members at KU who charged two weeks ago that fellow Taiwanese students were spying on them.

In a three-page statement issued yesterday, KU officials said that anyone who might be "monitoring the comments and activities of their countrymen and reporting those comments and activities to their home government" would not be violating any federal or state statutes.

KU officials added, however, that they will "suspend immediately" anyone who violates a university regulation which prohibits the disruption of "the normal and ordered process of education and training."

A Taiwanese professor at KU, who asked to remain anonymous, said last month that between six and ten Taiwanese students are paid $400-1000 by the Taiwanese government in exchange for "an analysis of the situation within the campus," adding that he fears these reports will lead to reprisals against him and his family by their government.