Netmen Win ECAC Title

The Harvard men's tennis team competed in the ECAC Championship Tournament over the weekend, and won five of the six divisions, losing only in the finals of the "B" doubles segment of the tourney.

In "A" singles senior All-American Howard Sands topped Princeton's Ted Farnsworth in straight sets, 7-6, 6-1.

The "B" singles featured an all Harvard final, as All-American (in doubles) Adam Beren, also a senior, bested sophomore team mate Dave Beckman, 6-3, 6-0. No sympathy there.

Junior Rob Laud came away with a victory in the "C" singles, outlasting John Sobel of Penn, 6-1, 3-6, 7-5.

In the doubles, Beren and Sands teamed up to top Princeton's Farnsworth and Talbut Davis in three sets in the "A" division, and Beckman and freshman Larry Scott slipped past Brown's Scott Diett and Andy New, also in three sets, in the "C's."

In "B" doubles, however, Harvard's Warren Grossman and Laud were beaten by Yale's Glen Lagendecker and Bruce Herzog in a three-set thriller.

By winning the tourney, Harvard gains a spot in the National Team Championships at UCLA in February.