Robinson Hall Shut by Mystery 'Gas'

History Dept., Warren Center Reopen Today

By Robert M. Neer

Most of the rooms in Robinson Hall were closed yesterday afternoon after students and faculty complained of headaches and stinging eyes.

No Trace

Officials haven't traced the source of their irritation but said that offices in the building would reopen tomorrow unless the problem reappeared.

Cement particles from drilling on renovations in the nearby Sever Hall basement may have caused the irritation, workers in the building said yesterday.

Early Morning Light

"The problem seemed to start in the basement and work its way up the left side of the building," said Patricia L. Default, administrative assistant at the Warren Center.

Ventilators

Robinson Hall is ventilated by two separate ventilation systems, one for each side of the building The two ventilation units have separate intake events and this workers said may account for the last that it was primarily people in the left side of the building. Which is closer to Sever that were bothered by the headaches and imitated eyes.

History Repeats

By 1.30 p.m. the reports of ailments forced officials to close the History Tutorial Office, the History Department Office and the History Department Library--all on the left side of the building.

Once in a Lifetime

Officials said the disruption was the first of its kind at Robinson. The University has no fixed policy for problems of this sort. Every one should use their own discretion," Said Eugene Arcand assistant superintendent for facilities.

But Saul L. Chafin, chief of University Police, said that in such a situation the recommendation of the University's Environment and Safety workers is usually followed.

Officials at Environment and Safety could not be reached last night.