In Support Of Registration

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Registration for the draft has once again made headlines, due to the attempts of the Justice Department to prosecute several vocal non-registrant. And radicals on campus have endeavored to generate widespread student opposition to opposition, unsuccessfully, one might add. The recent dismissal of charges against David Alan Wayte, a former Yale student, for refusing to register, has raised the hopes of registration opponents that draft registration has failed in the courtroom and its legality is in question.

But it should be understood that this dismissal was based on the contention of Wayte's attorneys that he was selectively prosecuted because of his public outcry against registration, hence that he was being selectively discriminated against by the Justice Department because he was exercising his First Amendment right to free speech. The legality, the constitutionality, of an enforceable registration for the draft is beyond question. Constitutional law is clear on this point.

Constructive debate, then, must turn to the question of whether registration is proper government policy at this time. It is the opinion of the Harvard Republican Club (HRC) that it is. Registration is an important ingredient in the flexible response strategy has become central to defense planning as the nuclear option becomes less and less psychologically tenable.

The Executive Board of the HRC has therefore decided to support registration, prosecution of those refusing to register, and the cutting of student aid to such individuals. A recent poll of 72 members of the HRC indicated unanimous support for this policy.

In the interest of encouraging educated student discussion on these issues, Thomas Turnage, director of the Selective Service Administration, will address the Harvard Student community under HRC sponsorship on December 1 at 8 p.m. in Science Center D. We invite all students to attend this event and challenge any and all student organizations opposed to registration to discuss the issue in a formal, public debate. Such a debate would contribute to educated student opinion. Greg Gross '83   President, HRC