Democrats to Vote in Caucus Today

Junior in Delegate Race

When the State Democratic Party Caucuses open in Cambridge at 2 p.m. today, at least one Harvard student will be there to run as a delegate for the May 22 Democratic convention.

Jamin B. Raskin '82, who has been politically active during his years at Harvard, said yesterday he is running because it is "important" for students at Harvard to become involved in local and state politics.

Over the past three years, Raskin has been active in the Peace Alliance--which he helped form during his freshman year--and the Committee on Central America. Last spring he helped coordinate a march and demonstration against U.S. support of El Salvador which attracted more than 1800 protesters.

Raskin said he will run on the slate of former governor Michael S. Dukakis, whom he described as "the most progressive" gubernatorial candidate in the Democratic Party this year. "Of the candidates running, Dukakis is the one who can rebuild the administration in Massachusetts and topple Ed King," Raskin said, adding, "King's administration has been a disaster for social programs and honesty in government."

As a self-described "radical Democrat," Raskin said, "I think Massachusetts is important as a battle ground for the soul of the Democratic party because the governor's race basically features a conservative, Reagan-style Democrat against someone who has faith in the progressive principles of the Democratic party."

The Harvard-Radcliffe Democratic Club will also support Dukakis today after a 22-10 vote in favor of endorsing him earlier this week.