Leftist Students Offers Hints On Choosing Term's Courses

Harvard undergraduates have received unsolicited suggestions this term on which classes to select thanks to a self styled group of radical Leftist students who are distributing a list of recommended courses.

The list compiled by a group called the Harvard Radcliffe Radical Academics (H-R RADACADS), includes 22 courses which according to members of the organization teach "materials that is about radical change or analysis."

Henry Park '84 the president and founder of RADACADS, said the list recently available at dinning halls, libraries and at registration is necessary because Harvard students "are bombarded each semester with courses with explicitly conservative new points."

While Park said he believes that the majority of students won't pay attention to the recommendations, he hopes the list will assist "those students who are looking to the left at Harvard but are finding no answers."

Among the group's suggested courses are Afro American Studies 196. "The Civil Rights Movement," taught by Assistant Professor of Afro American Studies Marshall Hyatt; Anthropology 133. "Economic Anthropology and Theory," by Professor of Anthropology Stanley J. Tambiah; and Historical Study A-23. "From Empire to Nation in Latin America," by Professor of History John Womack Jr. '59.

Park, who has taken two of the 22 courses. said the RADACADS made the list by just looking through the course catalogue talking to people and looking over reading lists."

He did not inform any professors that their courses may appear on the list because. "It's possible that some would have objected.

Most professors, however were more amused than imitated. Anyone interested in modern day politics would find something in trusting in my course said Womack. But it's in no way grated to train students to be revolutionaries.

My course has nothing to do with radical political though said Hyatt. "Political change really doesn't interest me tremendously."

Assistant Professor of Government Eliot A. Cohen, whose course. Government 1730. "Introduction to Military Politics," was singled out as one students should think twice about taking remarked that. "If students let their choices be shaped by this kind of nonsense. I question what effect their Harvard education has had upon them."

Park also founded the student organization "GUERILLA," when staged a Lamont Library sit in two years ago to protest limited library hours. He said he believed it was "too early" to tell whether the list has had any impact on course enrollments