Northeastern Trips Thinclads, 76-60; Schuler Takes Mile on Last Lap

By Becky Hartman

Despite record performances in the 440 and the 880 the Harvard men's track team could not overcome early bad breaks and fell to Northeastern, 6 60 Saturday afternoon at the ITI.

From the outset of the contest, things did not go the Crimson's way. In the afternoon's first event. Harvard's best long jumper. Jimmy Johnson, pulled his hamstring as he took off for his second leap. He will not return to action for at least four weeks, but despite his injury, his first leap of 23 ft. 8 1/4 inches was good enough to earn him third place Northeastern captured the first two spots.

In the other field events. Harvard co-captain Gus Udo won the triple jump, while Shawn Hill took second. The Crimson also took first and third in the high jump and second in the weight throw Unfortunately, Northeastern's sweeps in the Shot Put and the Pole Vault more than negated the Crimson's gains.

Even with the early setbacks, the thinclads did not give up hope, and a gutsy victory by senior Eric Schuler in the mile put them right back in the meet.

Schuler and a Northeastern duo of Chris Harrison and David Burke sprung out to the front of the pack and there they stayed, matching each other almost stride for stride until the final lap. When the gun sounded for the final Lap Harrison began to pour it on, grabbing the lead as Schuler fell to third.

But just when the crowd was beginning to give up on Schuler, the Crimson distance specialist began his kick and moved into second coming around the last bend. He caught Harrison down the stretch and finally passed him with less than 10 yards to go, winning the race by three tenths of a second.

35-lb weight-1. Dawson, N.U., 579 2 Quintero. H 55 6 3 Karanikolas, N U 54 1.

Shot Put--1 Dawson, N. U. 54 11. 2 Battislip N. U., 53 4 3 Karanikolas, N. U., 48 1"

High Jump-1. Boyd. H. 6 8" 2. Hopkins, N. U. 6 6 3. Henry H. 6 6"

Long Jump--1 Hartman, N. U. 24 8 2 Shinsky N. U., 23 11" Johnson, H. 23 9"

Triple Jump--1 Udo. H. 48 1" 2 Hall, 47 8 3 Eidenmayer, N. U., 46 6"

Pole Vault--1 Heyburn, N. U., 15 6 2 Hutchinson, N. U. 15.3 Yales, N. U., 14 6".

Mile--1 Schuler, H. 4 11 5 2 Harrison, N.U., 4:11 8, Burke, N.U., 4 12 6

Hurdles--1 Quitzan, N.U., 7 5, 2 Ezeji-Okoye, H. 7 5, 3 Caldron, N.U., 7. 6

60-yd Dash-1. Allan, N.U., 6.1 2, Hudson, H. 6.58 3. Gomes, N.U., 8.53

440-yd-1. Jones, H. 48.6.2 Aldrich, H. 50.0.3 Herberich, H. 50 7

500-m--1 Higgins, N. U., 1 04 22, 2 Murrer, H. 1:04.6.3 Ezeji-Okoye, H. 1 05 6

880-yd--1 Higgins, H, 1:54 01, 2. Sheehan, 1 55 04 3 MacKinnon, N U., 1 55 21.

1000-yd--1. Bunney, H. 2:12.3. 2. Sargent, N.U., 2:12.6.3. Jodice, N.U., 2:16.2

Mile Relay--1. Harvard, 3:21.0, 2. N.U. 3:21.3

2-Mile Relay--1. N.U. 7:51 6. 2. Harvard, 8:02. 2

Harvard's brightest of moment of the afternoon came two events later when senior Dwayne Jones broke the University 440-yard record with a time of 48.64, topping the old mark by a tenth of a second and leading the way to a Crimson sweep Freshman Chris. Aldridge took second and sophomore Jim Herberich finished third.

Harvard continued its winning ways in the 880 and the 1000. Bob Higgins ran his best 880 race ever as he and teammate Cliff Sheeham came from behind to pass Huskte Jim MacKinnon on the last turn and capture first and second.

Junior Brad Bunney lost nothing in his kick during vacation and he jumped out to a big lead and held on to easily win the 1000.

So with only the 2-mile and the two relays left to run the score stood at 63-54. Northeastern, and Harvard needed a first in the two-mile and to win both relays if it was going to pull out the meet.

Determined not to let the victory escape them the Huskie two-milers easily took first, second and put the contest out of the Crimson's reach. And with the meet already decided, Harvard took the mile relay, while Northeastern won the 2-mile.

The thinclads will have a chance to avenge their loss on February 4th and 5th when they get back in action and host the GBCs.