VAX Computers

Harvard recently purchased two new computers and established seven new offices to oversee its expanding computer facilities.

The new computer--a VAX 11/780 worth approximately $200,000--will be used mainly for instruction in higher level computer courses, and for specialized faculty research.

The machine should arrive sometime this week with two new VAX 11/750 computers also ordered this fall, Lance Jackson, a Science Center official handing computers, said.

The new offices, which will be located in the Science Center, will monitor the operation and maintenance of the new machines.

The University will hire 10 new employees to staff the offices, currently under construction, officials said recently.

Students in recent years have criticized Harvard for having inadequate computer facilities: last spring, the computer system broke down after students in an introductory programming course overloaded the machines.

This fall. Harvard has stepped up efforts to improve its computer facilities.

Recent moves have included the purchase of the three new computers, and the addition of 25 to 30 new terminals to the Science Center, which will be installed by late October.

Faculty officials have also said that, over the next five to 10 years, Harvard will move to decentralize computer facilities. This would move a great part of the computer use from the main Science Center system to personal computers spread throughout the campus.

Plans for such a system have not been finalized.