Dean Search

Short Takes

Only three scientists have been mentioned, with any regularity as contractors for the plan with faculty members Dean of the Division of Applied Sciences Paul C Martin 51. Houghton Professor of Chemistry Jeremy R. Knowles, and Associate Dean of the Faculty John E. Dowling '57.

Of this trio, only Martin and Knowles appear to be serious candidates. Dowling, a biologist, said last week he has never discussed the possibility of becoming dean with Bok. Both Martin and Knowles--who is on sabbatical in England this year--refuse to speak about the subject in say whether Bok has approached them about the post.

But colleagues say that Martin and Knowles have the breadth of intelligence and administrative experience that qualities them well for the dean's job.

For six years, Martin has run the affairs of an unwieldy division, whose navy them 40 professors might easily be part of even or eight department at another school. He has also played a prominent role in handling several university industry relations and upgrading Harvard's computer systems.

Knowles is not so well known in the Faculty but he has cared an excellent reputation among colleagues for his handling of the Chemistry Department's affairs hiring his lint an chairmen over the last three years.

The English born and Oxford educated Knowles also is pursed for personal assets, stick as an eloquent public speaking number and it gilt for diplomacy. Moreover, as some one who has stayed out of the limelight especially on sabbatical this year. Knowles seems to have avoided gelling involved in contentious issues that divide Faculty opinion.

More visible professors with a shot at the deanship may conceivably have been hampered by fostering the sort of disapproval that a high profile inevitably produces.

Two frequently cited candidates for the post may fit this description: Associate Dean in the Faculty Sidney Verha '53 who has had a direct role in resolving a sting of departmental disputes and oversaw a widely publicized survey of sexual harassement at Harvard in Professor of Government James J. Wilson who has developed a reputation as a conservative issues of pub lie.

Off the Truth

An important factor is considering a scientist for the deanship is that the job would mean dealing his career in research, given the breakneck development of scientific discoveries today. For this reason, professor's say, a scientist would probably the more length than a humanist to put aside his academic career for five to 10 years to take on the deanship.

There is a famous anecdote about the fast Harvard scientist in hold a trip administrative position--James B. Conant '14, president from 1933 to 1953--that some say illustrates the reluctance of some in the Harvard community to see scientists in high positions.

When Conant, a chemist, was named president, one member of the University community reportedly approached him and said, "Mr. Conant, I'm so disappointed--I thought Harvard chose scholars for its president"

Conant replied that chemistry was a perfectly respectable branch of scholarship and pointed out that one of his predecessors--Charles W. Eliot--was also a chemist.

"Oh yes," came the answer, "but of course he wasn't a very good one."

Off the Truth