Booters Whip Bulldogs, 3-0, On Three Second-Half Goals

By Benjamin R. Reder

In two or three years, they might beat Columbia. With Saturday's 3-0 trouncing of Yale, the Harvard men's soccer team ended a season that was a big step in the right direction.

In their last two games last season, the booters gave up eight goals and scored none. In their final two matches this year, the Crimson tallied seven times while only giving up one goal.

"The team has arrived at a higher level of soccer than I thought we would. I thought we were two years away from playing this way," Coach Jape Shattuck said yesterday.

After a lethargic first period in New Haven, the booters came storming out in the second half, and blew the Elis off the field. "The second half was a different game. We played like we can," Captain Leo Lanzillo said.

Freshman Paul Nicholas took a pass from Frank DiFalco and played it be Glenn Brack in front of the goal. Brack slammed a shot high into the net from eight years out.

Several minutes later, Nicholas again got the ball, this time at midfield, and fed it to John Catliff, at the 30-yard line. Catliff shrilled a hard, low shot into the right corner of the goal.

Harvard's last tally was by senior midfielder Jay Hooper, who beat the Yale keeper with a 25-yard blast high and to the left. The game was no longer in question.

"The method of play in the first 45 minutes was really sensational," said Shattuck. The coach was particularly pleased with the scoring by midfielders Brack and Hooper. "They looked like a very, very good soccer team," he added.

The booters ended the season with an 8-4-3 record, winning their last three matches after not having been able to win even couture now earlier in the season.