Penn Gets its Share

IvyWrap

It wasn't long on Saturday before Harvard's hopes for its first undisputed Ivy championship in eight years were dashed by the one-sided scores coming from Philadelphia, where Penn trounced Dartmouth to gain a share of the crown.

The two games with no impact on the title race both featured wild fourth-quarter comebacks, one of which succeeded

Penn 38, Dartmouth 14

For a full quarter, the tie the Crimson needed to gain an outright championship seemed possible. But the Quakers broke a scoreless tie with three touchdowns in the first 5:39 of the second quarter to put the game away

An 89-yard drive, led by Penn fullback Chuck Nolan, created the initial score A Dartmouth fumble on its own 26-yard line and a Big Green interception at its own 31 set up the next two.

Perm coasted in the third quarter, rolling up the score with a 45-yard Dave Shulman field goal and a nine-yard touchdown pass by QB John McGeehan. Darmouth made it somewhat respectable with two long scoring passes.

In Coach Joe Yukica's previous five years at Dartmouth, the Big Green won 14 of its 15 games in November (all against Ivy teams). This year Dartmouth lost twice and tied once, after winning its first four league games.

Penn finished 5-1-1 in the league.

Cornell 32, Princeton 30

In New Jersey, Cornell won its second Ivy game with a wild comeback, erasing a 30-6 Tiger lead with four third-and fourth-quarter touchdowns.

Princeton quarterback Doug Butler dominated the first part of the contest, throwing four scoring passes. He finished the day with 392 yards in the air.

But Big Red tailback Derrick Harmon took over in the late going, scoring three times while rushing for 189 yards.

The decisive touchdown, with 1:05 left, gave Cornell a 2-4-1 Ivy mark. Princeton finished at 2-5.

Brown 42, Columbia 36

In Providence, Lion QB John Witkowski passed for 378 yards in his last game. But a 29-point Columbia fourth quarter rally couldn't overcome a 42-7 deficit

Brown ended at 4-2-1, Columbia at 1-5-1