Abbott Elected 111th Captain

Ernst Named MVP At Football Dinner

Junior tight end Steve Abbot was elected the 111th Harvard football captain, Coach Joe Restic announced yesterday.

The Orono, Me native was selected on the fourth vote by his teammates. "I'm tremendously honored," Abbott said last night at the team's annual awards dinner in Boston.

Fullback Steve Ernst won the Frederick Greeley Crocker Award as the 1983 squad's MVP, defensive end Mark Mead won the Joseph E. Wolf Award for the outstanding interior lineman, linebacker Craig Uecker won the Henry N. Lamar Award for dedication to the football program and quarterback Greg Gizzi won the Robert F. Kennedy Award for determination and willingness to work.

Ernst led the team in rushing (761 yards), scoring (38 points) and punt returns (15 for 109 yards). The Clinton, Mass native started the season at wingback, switched to tailback for the Dartmouth game, then moved to fullback for the remainder of the season. He caught eight passes against Brown.

One of nine varsity quarterbacks at the beginning of the season, Gizzi earned the starting job halfway through the year. He proceeded to lead Harvard to a 4-0-1 finish and its second consecutive Ivy co-championship. The Irvington, N.Y. native completed over 56 percent of his passes for 729 yards and rushed for 212 yards.

Mead's total of 63 tackles was the second highest on the Ivy League's best defensive team. He led the Crimson in quarterback sacks, broke up three passes and recovered a fumble.