Crimpson Icemen Fall at Princeton...And Tigers Top Icewomen Hurt Crimson's Playoff Hopes

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

Countless times they made everyone forget they were not one of the nation's best. Often they used sheer determination to post stunning victories over for superior teams. And when fans recounts the magical 1982-83 Harvard women's ice hockey season, they will speak of the thrilling wins over Northeastern. Dartmouth and Boston University.

Ironically, though the icewomen's toughest opposition of the year may come at about 10:15 this morning two days after the regular season ended. And the Crimson may have little chance of topping this adversary: the EAIAW tournament committee.

At this morning's meeting, the five members committee composed of coaches and administrators from Northeastern, UNH. Princeton, Colby and Dartmouth will extend six bids to this week's Eastern tournament. On the heels of Saturday's regular-season-ending 4-0 loss to Princeton, Harvard is in a night race with Dartmouth, Cornell and Colby for the tourney's final two bids Providence, UNH. Northeastern and Princeton have all but assured themselves of the top four spots.

"It's really up in the air as to what they'll decide," Harvard Coach John Dooley said after Saturday's loss. "We really have no control over what'll happen."

Princeton Coach Bill Quackenbush, a committee member, said he expects the final two spots to be decided between Colby, Harvard and Dartmouth. The Crimson defeated Dartmouth twice this year but dropped a 4-1 decision to Colby. "Those three seem to have the best shot," Quackenbush said. "Cornell's record (7-13-1) doesn't seem very strong." (Cornell did, however, topple the Crimson twice this year.)

But after Saturday's game. Dooley told his troops that the playoffs really didn't matter. "I told them we had such a great year that we didn't need the playoffs," said Dooley, who in his two years at the helm has turned the Crimson from a perennial loser into a playoff contender.

"I'm very pleased with what's happened this year," he added. "If we make the playoffs it'll only be an added bonus."

With Saturday's loss. Harvard completed its regular season campaign with an 11-8 overall mark, 5-5 in the lvies Princeton, meanwhile took its second straight Ivy League championship, finishing 15-4 over all 9-1 in league play.

While Princeton showed why it is the class of the Ivy League using a strong passing game and aggressive forechecking to over come the Crimson's emotional fire Harvard showed Saturday just how far it has come in its five year history.

There were seniors Alex Lightfoot, Vicky Palmer, Jennifer White and Army Spalding the few left from the squad's early days leading the young Harvard squad in its gallant comeback efforts after Princeton took a 2-0 lead into the third period. There were the brilliant juniors who should make next year's team Harvard's best yet, preventing the Tigers from breaking the game open. And there were the Sophomores and the freshmen, watching as Harvard went after its first ever victory over Princeton.

And though the icewomen could do little but watch as the Tigers exploded for two late tallies to reach the final 4-0 score. Harvard left the ice with a feeling of success.

"Last year we won and we didn't know why," Spalding said. "This year we won because we had the talent and the emotion. The team really knows how far it can go now."

For Dooley, the loss did little to shake his admiration for a team to which he became very close. "I never thought we'd be able to top last year," said Dooley, whose troops went 15-6 in the 1982 season. "It might not show in the record, but we've really done it I've never been so proud."

THE NOTEBOOK: The squad will assemble for practice at 5:15 today. Dooley will deliver the playoff news to his troops at that time. A playoff news to bid would be Harvard's first ever... The loss Saturday was the second of the year to the Tigers... If the squad makes the playoffs. It will face either Princeton or Northeastern on the road later this week. At Bright Center Harvard  0  0  0-0 Princeton  1  1  2-4 P Syrena Carlbom 10-13 P Katherine Brewer (Carlbom Kelly O Dell) 8-13 P O Dell (Brewer) 16-24 P (O Dell) 17-26 Saves H Chery Tate 8:7.14-29 P Rebecca Potter 3:4.6-13 Att-100

Crimson Timothy W. Plass

Crimson Timothy W. Plass