Student Judges Set For Band Concert

By Gilbert Fuchsberg

The head of the Undergraduate Council yesterday worked to gather a panel of student judges for its band competition tonight, following a controversy surrounding the initial selection of judges by one of the contest entrants.

Council chairman Michael G. Colantuono '83 said that The Crimson, The Independent, and WHRB Radio had all agreed to have members of their staffs serve on the panel, but that the specific students were still being chosen as of last night. The panel will consist of five or six members, he added.

Colantuono and members of the five bands slated to appear at the "Battle of the Bands"--the council's first sponsored social event--agreed to have students evaluate the contest after disqualifying two outside judges chosen by Noelani Rodriguez '83, a council member who also plays in one of the bands.

After concluding that Rodriguez's selections reflected a conflict of interest that could have unfairly influenced the outcome of the Memorial Hall event--which features a $500 grand prize--both Colantuono and band members decide that a student panel of campus media critics would be more impartial.