Democrats

Short Takes

Socialist leader H. Michael Harrington spokes yesterday on possible progressive alternatives to President Reagan's economic policies in the '80s, and called for the Left to "coalesce" in fighting unemployment, corporate power and nuclear arms.

Abstressing a crowd of about 100 in Emerson Hall, Harrington, national chairman of the Democratic Socialists of America (DSA), assailed Reagan's policies for "putting us in the midst of the worst crisis in 50 years."

But Harrington said that unless the Democratic Party formulates batter alternatives to the policies than it has now. Reagan could be re located in 1984.

"The Democratic Party is miserable, ideologically bankrupt, full of some of the work people in the United States." Harrington said. He added that "you will also find there most of the best people in the country."

Members of the Spartacus Youth League (SYL) some of whom heckled Harrington during the question-and-answer session following the speech, distributed literature before hand and denounced DSA, which they accused of supporting "American imperialism.

"The DSA takes people who want to fight all that's rotten in the system and takes them back to the Democratic Party," said Alden M. Cavanagh '82, an SYL member.

Although DSA endorsed Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass) in 1980. Harrington said that the group "doesn't see any presidential candidate or campaign promising enough for us to mobilize for."

He added that Sens. Gary M. Hart (D-Colo) and Paul E. Tsongas (D-Mass) present only. "Reaganism with a human face."

The DSA program, which Harrington delineated in this 45-minute talk, stresses the need for full-employment. His own proposals include the rebuilding of the nation's passenger rail system with public funds and public support for companies which create jobs by moving back to depressed industrial centers like Detroit. St. Louis and Cleveland.

DSA-which has 8000 members nation-wide and about 30 at Harvard-also supports the nuclear freeze and calls for negotiated settlements in EI Salvador. Israel, and Nicaragua.